Ole Oil

I started a new series or at least I'd like to call it that. One where I started experimenting with lines. Somehow lines can be a fascinating thing to the eyes and there is so much we can do with just lines. Black and white lines in particular work like magic. I wanted to insert an image before those lines that will pop. I wanted the entire canvas to sing and not just the focal image. And so it did.

Recently after seeing some photos of so many people lined up on Grand Anse beach after a fun and fascinating daybreak of dancing in 'Ole oil' and black paint, my mind immediately thought about the marine creatures and what happens to the paint after it is washed of in the sea. It's definitely not a major issue like an oil spill or something, but right away I decided to use the Jab as the subject of my painting. I wanted to draw awareness that although Jab is our culture we should also protect our environment. I am suddenly thinking of art in a more useful way instead of just aesthetic. I too am not convinced that art alone can change the world, but do agree that it presents a louder voice than mere words. Simply because no one lingers over words or stare at words the way they do art. The message drives deeper through mere visualization. In the beginning there was art, then words.

I finally added the colors of the flag to create a nationality for this piece. I am beginning to also use the national colors in my paintings a lot. My patriotic nature allows it. Finally the drips are the drips of paint falling from the bodies while they party in the streets of Grenada. Well, that's obvious. I wonder what the art critics would say.


Comments