St. George's, Grenada


Being on the island of Grenada deserves a journal all by itself. Returning home after almost two years placed me in a position of the outside 'observer' for a bit. I can now relive past experiences and encounters from a different perspective. As an artist I immediately immersed myself into my surroundings, taking in the purity and beauty of the island. I observed the town of St. George's with my recent visit to Harlem still fresh on my mind and I saw ideas on how I can create amazing cultural and historical art. I felt almost a need to preserve everything I see because I also felt a sense of urban deterioration that is even more visible once one has been away for a while. Living in a situation makes it harder to see changes. I even asked myself if I was ready to return home permanently and will doing that embrace me as the sun, sea and sand does every single time?

I had a great idea for creating art as mentioned but I know I also have zero painting brushes with me. I went to purchase a few but there were only watercolor brushes with rounded tips available. Later during the day I then picked up the newspaper and after reading it I knew exactly what I wanted to create. Grenada is at a peak of political and social changes with national elections just around the corner. I have never been able to focus on political art and decided to use collages to create art from newspapers instead. I thought where do the newspapers go after they are read and how can I use art to preserve some of the outstanding issues that matters so much today but easily forgotten tomorrow?
This was the birth of another art idea. Perhaps not sustainable since my trip is limited, but another idea!

Woman praying for the faith of the country
Collage with newspaper

In honor of Sailing Festival amidst political changes
Collage with newspaper

                                                        Freedom fist.
                           Turned upside down, it can mean something else.
                                                 Collage with newspaper








 

Comments