Shanghai & my first drawing class

I have lived in China for 8 long years. I am spending my 9th year in Shanghai. That's right, I recently moved to Shanghai! From Beijing to Jilin to Shenzhen and finally to Shanghai.
Shanghai is a vibrant, modern, cultural city packed with expats and comparable to New York as most would say. Once you move here you get a strong feeling of entrepreneurship and creativity in every form. This feeling so strong you can catch it in the air.
So far it has been two months of eagerness. Eager to settle down, network, learn, grow, and get things done. I caught a cold that seem to leave me then return despite how much ginger, garlic, lemon and oranges I consume. Medicine doesn't work either so I am now thinking it can also be allergies. While I tackle this issue and struggle to pass my probationary period as a drama teacher(intense!), I try to stick my head in artsy things around town once I get some free time. I mean, all work and no creativity is just not my style.
I attended my first live drawing session this week in Shanghai and boy how I needed that. It's like medicine to the artistic soul. The set up was in a cozy Cafe and there I met the group leader from the US who has been living in Shanghai for 5 years. Mein, these expats just doesn't want to leave China. He was quite friendly and gave me a ticket to get 1 free drink once I paid for the session. It was a male model that day and there were enough people ready to draw. We drew for 2 hours with music then paused for a short break.  At the end I chatted with the people around me and we exchanged ideas. Most were working as artists. Then we took photos of our work and shared with the group on Wechat. I'd certainly do it again.









Comments